Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Apples

Apples are a big part of our family's lives in October. There are few things more beautiful to me than fresh food from the garden and fruit from trees. I'm so lucky to have a dad who shares his harvest with me each year.

This year we've canned lots of diced tomatoes, italian diced tomatoes, and applesauce. We've made many apple pies and I look forward to dehydrating apples and pears in the next week or two.

I know a lot of people are heading to apple orchards right now. This is my very favorite apple pie. It's SO easy to make and so good.

-------------------
OATMEAL APPLE CRISP
-------------------
1 pie crust (I just buy these at the store)
1 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. unsifted flour
1/4 c. oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 c. butter
6 med. apples
1 tbsp. lemon juice (I omit this)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl combine first five
ingredients. With two knives cut in butter until well
dispersed. Peel and cut apples. Place apples in pie crust. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Scatter sugar mixture over top. Press down evenly.

Bake for 50 minutes or until nicely
browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment