Saturday, October 22, 2011

October Kids

We read this cute little story (see the end of this post) and then made apple prints with the star inside.
The girls made these creations below at the Family Center on our vacation in Park City.
I was impressed with both of my daughters ability to concentrate and work. In the beginning (to create this purse) I didn't think that my youngest daughter (3) could do it so I was quickly helping as fast as I could so that we could be done and my little boy wouldn't be running around the place anymore. After we finished she wanted to do another one. I tended to O Man while she worked. Her ability to do it amazed me. Those beads are tiny and hard to get in the right spot. She finished a circle all by herself. Then it moved a little and several, if not all, of the beads fell off. She didn't get frustrated (like I would have), she just did it again. She found joy in the process. That is a skill I hope my children acquire. C is well on her way.
And M's monkey was mind blowing. She asked the helper if he had brown beads. She then sorted all of her beads to create the monkey she desired. She began with the eyes and mouth (so cute). Made an orange tail, then did all of the brown part.
One of the kids' fav books is Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham. We've been making green eggs often.
On curious george he uses licorice whips as a measuring tool. My girls were measuring each other by using licorice. C is 15 licorice whips tall.
We made these sandpaper pumpkins. You color on sandpaper with crayon and then iron them onto a piece of cardstock. The desired effect is a pixelated pumpkin. We must not have colored hard enough because it didn't turn out great.


Adapted by C.J.Brown

The Little Red House with No Doors 
and No Windows and a Star Inside.


One fall day a boy named Peter was looking for something to do. His mother was busy baking in the kitchen and couldn't stop to play with him, so she suggested that he try to solve a riddle.

“Peter, “ she said. “Here is the riddle. I want you to find the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside," his mother said.

Peter had never heard of such a house, and he had no idea where to go to find it.He put on his jacket and went outside.

He started to walk along the street looking at all the houses. All of the houses he passed had doors and windows and none of them seemed like the sort of house that would have a star inside.

Peter saw a little girl playing in the park. He decided to ask her if she knew about the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside.

The little girl said, "I have never heard of such a house, but maybe my father knows. He is a farmer. He knows how to make the crops grow and when it will rain. Maybe he knows about the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside."

Peter followed the little girl. They walked down the lane, over the hill and to a small white farmhouse. The girl's father was sitting on the porch.

"Daddy," said the little girl, "This is Peter. He is looking for a Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside. Do you know where he can find it?"

The farmer took off his hat and scratched his head. "I have heard of such a house once, but I never tried to find it. Maybe you should ask Granny. She is very old and very wise. Maybe she can tell you where it is."

Peter set off down the road looking for Granny's cottage. He finally arrived at Granny's gate. The old lady was sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch.

"Excuse me, Granny" said Peter, "The farmer told me that you might be able to help me. I am looking for the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside. Do you know where it is?"

Granny smiled. "I have heard of that house, but I never tried to find it. Perhaps you should ask the Wind. He sees and hears everything."

Peter walked to the top of a high hill and called to the wind. "Excuse me, Wind, do you know where I can find the Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside?"

"Yes-s-s-s," answered the Wind in it's gusty voice. "I know where that hous-s-s-se is-s-s. Follow me."

Peter followed the wind. It blew him this way and that, over the hill and down the other side. Finally, the wind stopped at an apple orchard. With a sudden gust, the wind shook an apple tree and down fell an apple into Peter’s hands.

The apple was very red. With it's stiff brown stem sticking up like a chimney it did look like a little house with no doors and no windows.

"But what about the star?" asked Peter. "Where is the star?"

Quickly Peter hurried home, running as fast as he could. He ran over the hill, past Grannies house, through the farmer’s fields and into the kitchen where his mother was baking.

“Well, did you solve the riddle?” asked Peter’s mother.

“I’m not sure,” said Peter. This apple is red like a small house, with a brown stem like a chimney and no doors or windows, but I don’t know if there is a star inside?” said Peter.

Peter’s mother took the apple from his hands and with her knife she cut through the center of the apple, and there inside was the answer.



1 comment:

  1. you are the best mom! Seriously I love all the things you do with the kids! And that star story is so cute. I'm going to do that with my kids tomorrow. Thanks for the idea! We might just rock paint too :)

    ReplyDelete