Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kids Creativity Declines in America

I felt too strong about this not to share. I think it's crucial that we as parents encourage and allow our children to be creative. Research is showing that creativity is declining rapidly in America.The Wonder Years posted today some great info on what parents can do (quite simply) to encourage creativity in your children.

This is a must read for any parent! But especially those with children 5 and under.This whole article gave me a kick in the pants. And I'm making plans to implement some of her ideas more fully in our lives.

Here are some ideas she added to her post. I'm printing these out and putting them on my fridge. Whenever I get the urge to put the tv on for the kids I'm going to try and do one of these instead.

"Wanting to know what I can do, I searched around a bit. This is a list of ways I can and others, as parents and educators, help save childhood creativity.
1. (Obviously) Limit tv and video games (I believe 1 and 1/2 hrs a day is the recommended max)
2. Provide toys that are more open ended, toys that encourage imagination.
3. Provide props for role playing (house, doctor's office...)
4. Tell stories. Look through photo albums and relate stories about the pictures.
5. Emphasize process rather than product
6. Encourage exploration
7. Allow for long periods of uninterrupted play inside and out
8. Adapt to your child's ideas
9. Give independence. Don't hover over your child. Creativity is stifled when someone feels they are being watched or critiqued.
10. Accept unusual ideas and suspend judgment.
11. Avoid evaluating statements about their work/play
12. Provide art exploration
13. Use music and make music
14. Cook with your children(It's not a complete list so feel free to share how you like to encourage creativity in your children.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment