Thursday, December 13, 2012

Gingerbread Village

I always feel like my mind is at war with itself...keep garbage or throw it away? That's the big question! haha.  But really, before I throw something away I am always thinking of a 2nd use for it. I'm so Ukrainian that way. I have such a desire to create new things with it with my kids. But alas, I also hate clutter with a passion so most things get tossed. 

But these boxes. These I had a plan for.  I knew I wanted to make a gingerbread village with the kids. 
We painted them all brown (like gingerbread), but in hindsight I wished we painted them several different colors. Oh well. Next year.  

The kids worked hard on painting. I spent the evening, after they were in bed, decorating them with some of the random art supplies M(5) and I rounded up earlier that day. 

I left some houses for my 2 oldest to decorate the next morning.  They loved it!

One house featured a pinecone tree, white bean roof, window (from lasagna box), bell door knob and toilet paper roll chimney. Another featured a snowman made of cotton balls with a fruit loop hat, lentil eyes, wild rice nose, and ribbon scarf.  It also had a bell to ring.  Another was surrounded by snow and a picket fence. My daughter added stars, mini-pinecone trim, and tongue depressor window sills.

Their little people had quite a nice time playing in their new homes

No comments:

Post a Comment