Saturday, September 24, 2011

Learning New Homemaking Skillz

This summer has been such a blast. I hate to see it go. Some of the fun has been learning new homemaking skills. That sounds cheesy, but there are few things I love more than creating things for my family and friends, and our home.

Here are a few new things I learned this summer, that I loved making!

My husbands favorite pie is cherry pie. Not the kind you buy in a box at the grocery store, but real cherry pie.

My friend Rachael brought over lots of cherries and a pitter and we spent the afternoon with our kids pitting and dehydrating cherries. Then I made a cherry pie from scratch. It was DELISH!

I even tried braiding my homemade pie crust. Ya, I definitely need more practice! The thing in the middle is supposed to be a cherry decoration. haha.
I told Rach that I really want to start collecting pretty cake plates. She found this at the D.I. for me. It's gorgeous. The cloak has flowers etched into the side of the glass. And it's tall enough to fit a 3-4 layer cake inside. LOVE IT!
Happy Birthday Mom!
I also made jam for the first time by myself. I used the sure jell that calls for less sugar. Woa baby it's still a lot of sugar. I want to plant blackberry and raspberry bushes next year. Can't wait for raspberry jam! My favorite.

Dried apricots. I used to love eating these in Ukraine. I didn't love mine as much. I'm hoping to learn more about dehydrating food!


And last, but not least....the cake I made for Tom W. (you'd really have to know Tom W. to understand this cake). My dad was laughing until he was crying. I LOVE when dad does that. It was quite the hoot and so much fun to make. I was cracking up the whole time. I just drew on the body with a straight tip, and used a grass tip for the hair. The hostess snowballs added the perfect touch. Oh and don't forget the chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment